[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Dual sport trailer made in Canada
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:18 pm 

The trailer came well packages

Attachments:
IMG_20140415_112436.jpg
IMG_20140415_112436.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 214 times ]
IMG_20140415_110706.jpg
IMG_20140415_110706.jpg [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 214 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 pm 

The fiberglass section of the trailer came primed black and I wanted to paint it flat white, which makes it quite difficult to paint.

Attachments:
IMG_20140415_163127.jpg
IMG_20140415_163127.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 213 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:42 pm 

Pic of the naked trailer

Attachments:
IMG_20140415_162917.jpg
IMG_20140415_162917.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 210 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:06 pm 

I would paint it black. The rocks will just chip all the white off and look like crap

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:26 pm 

Trailer took 3 coats of primer and 5 coats of paint to cover all the black prime. Also added another coat of reflective cover paint.
So Saturday was test drive day. I took my new baby on a scenic tour of Saskatoon finest hotels and biggest potholes. She loved it and I would have to remind myself that she was there. :oops:
So my observations so far . Everything was built wonderfully, the trailer performed perfect. I haven't yet put anything in it, so I don't know how it will ride with weight but I really don't think it will change a thing with the ride and handle it well.
One concern and it's a big one is the lid. I don't know what trail tail was thinking when they designed the latch mechanism, but I think they weren't. The lid uses a two latch system that I in two opposing corners. I was always afraid of one of the latches coming lose and me losing the whole lid. I could go on about this but I will just come up with a fix and post it.

Attachments:
IMG_20140419_124055.jpg
IMG_20140419_124055.jpg [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 208 times ]
IMG_20140419_124047.jpg
IMG_20140419_124047.jpg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 208 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:38 pm 

Get him to send u 2 more latches. All 4 corners

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:52 pm 

Yes that would work. But I want to make a hinge setup so there is no way to ever lose the lid or have to remove it at all to put stuff in the trailer.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:02 pm 

Make sure it flips up toward the bike. That way wind will tend to keep it closed if it comes open while you're riding. If it flips to the side it might not be too bad, but hinge at the front will be safest. If you put the hinge at the back you might lose the lid anyway!

Looks pretty good. I'd be interested to test-drive it to see how noticeable it is from a power & handling perspective.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:56 pm 

My trailering dreams are delayed. Whenever you see a loophole SGI finds some lube. SGI says I need plates and lights. Guess I have to rig something up now, so much for the ease of switching it between bikes and the dream of sharing it with the other club members. Thanks SGI for another punch in the nuts.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 pm 

When I bought my Streetglide with the uniwheel trailer the PO told me the trailer was considered part of the bike due to the way they are attached so no need for a separate plate. I never pursued it any further and just drove it that way.

I am currently building one for my V Strom and don,t plan on plating it either unless I am forced too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories