[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Installed some ProTaper pillow top grips
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:15 pm 

Replaced my stock grips with ProTaper MX Pillow Tops. Just needed some hair spray and a box cutter to install.

Not sure what to do about the extra space on the bar ends. The grips didn't look much shorter than the stocks, but apparently they are. I've read that some people put a bearing on the end to protect the throttle tube from getting sand and crud inside. Anyone have experience or advice on this?

Attachments:
20150331_114407.jpg
20150331_114407.jpg [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 478 times ]
20150331_114425.jpg
20150331_114425.jpg [ 1.97 MiB | Viewed 478 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:06 pm 

I hope they come with matching wrist guards. Lol. When are you planning on getting out with "the boys" Kelly ?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:55 pm 

Yeah Steve, I hear you. I'll do my best to avoid screwing up my whole riding season this year.

I'm jealous you guys have already been out tearing it up. I'll be plated this weekend and ready to rock.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:03 pm 

Right on Kelly! I'm pumped to ride, I think I'm gonna put the plate on tomorrow just to get the most value out of sgi. As for the grips I plan to put a set of those on my bike too, couldn't you put them to the end of your bars then move your starter button and one stuff further out towards them to make up for the distance?

1990 Honda ST1100
1974 Honda Trail 90

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:17 pm 

I changed my mind and put the plate on today!

I'm sporting fresh oil and a filter, cleaned the K&N air filter, WD40'd the chain, and put SeaFoam in the tank and in the crankcase. And after I removed the "death grip" cruise control it freed up the formerly stiff throttle. It's like a different bike! Now I'm ready to rock (except for the snow in the forecast).

Al, I was thinking the same about the grips. I'm surprised the stock grips would be that much longer, but moving everything outward might be the best plan. I'll ride like this for awhile to see if it's worth worrying about. They'll likely be fine where they are.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Looking good Kelly, can't wait to see the flying KLR in action :lol:

The stock bars on my old '01 KLR had holes drilled in it and tabs on the control clusters so you couldn't move them or even rotate them without filing off the tabs.

Not sure if that's still the case on these newer KLR's. Once you file them off, they won't tighten down as well and will rotate unless you put some rubber or something between them and the bars.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:51 pm 

The street bike length of the klr grips kinda sucks for grip selection. I wish the pillow tops were not white, they get kinda ratty looking after a wile, otherwise seem like a decent grip.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:36 pm 

1990 Honda ST1100
1974 Honda Trail 90

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories