[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Street Jacket
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories

Post subject: Street Jacket
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:26 am 

Hey Guys,
New to the site and the sport. Bought a 2014 CRF250L. With all the new rules that you have to wear a denim or leather jacket. Wondering what you guys would recomend? Was thinking of the ICON Hypersport Jacket.

Post subject: Re: Street Jacket
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:46 am 

Welcome man any protection is worth it on my opinion we all like to ride without gear but you'll be glad I had it at some point or another. Enjoy ur new bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ct70

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:37 am 

Welcome prairie rider . Good choice of bike . What area are you in ? As for jackets don't do leather . look for something that has a windproof and waterproof shell . You want something that can cover your neck and are a bit longer be n the bottom to stop the wind coming up . liners are nice but you can always ad layers underneath it. I always enjoy riding in the spring and fall with the dual sport , as I ride sport bike in the summer month. A jacket like that can get hot in jne and July so you can buy something cheap for the hot season to cover your skin. I have armor and throw a jursey over it . hope to see you on one of our rides soon.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:01 am 

Thanks guys. I am living in Saskatoon, hoping to ride this thing to work everyday.

When I go out on the trail I won't wear the leather. But it's the new rules in order to get my motorcycle license. You either have to wear a leather jacket or heavy denim for the first year or too. That's the only reason I was looking at a leather jacket

Prairierider89

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Prairie Rider!
I think they must accept textile jackets (nylon, cordura, etc) as well. Many of those type jackets have better protection than leather. Does SGI have a list of gear requirement on a webpage somewhere?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 am 

Thanks,

After looking at the website again. It just says to be covered. I confused it with the training course requirement, wear they say durable jacket (leather or denim). Will send in an inquiry just to make sure.

Prairierider89

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:05 am 

Welcome to the site Prairie Rider.

I've taken the stuff below from SGI's website. It basically says you need your arms and legs covered, as of last June. Not sure if they have updated it since then, but it wasn't on their site if they have.

As for jackets, leather is quite protective if you fall on pavement and are skidding (firsthand experience with leather in this situation) but the jackets designed for motorcycling (like the ones Ken has mentioned) are just as protective and are better in several ways. They often have pads built into the elbows, shoulders, and back, and they do help if you fall. They also tend to have better venting, and often come with liners for cold weather riding that can be removed for warmer days.

I use a Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket like this one: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10 ... s-2-jacket.

It's no longer available, but the Series 3 is similar. These jackets are reasonably priced (~$200 US), protect well, and are comfortable.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you're going to really ride dual-sport you're probably going to fall at some point. To a lot of the Harley and Crotch-rocket crowd falling is an absolute horror, but to us dual-sporters it's a part of life. I've fallen tons of times, and even Ken falls once in a while. Proper gear (jacket, pants, boots, etc) is critical, and is usually the difference between a rough fall and a trip to the hospital!

Attachments:
SGI regs 2014.png
SGI regs 2014.png [ 218.75 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:21 am 

The training course is more geared to cruiser type riders for safety recommendations. I bet the last time you saw a bunch of leather and denim near motorcycles wasn't on a group of dual sport riders ;)

I have a good racing leather jacket from my rice rocket days and would not recommend it to anybody on a dual sport. Great protection, but way too hot and it's restrictive. Makes sense as it's intended for being crouched on a bike with minimal body english.

IMO textile dual sport jackets with integrated padding are the gold standard. All the fancy venting, pockets and waterproofing are pretty nice features for a DS rider. I often use mx/enduro body armor with a jacket suited to the weather over top and that works fine too. Let's me layer how I want and is pretty cheap compared to the swanky jackets available. It's also well suited to my flavour of crashing on the trails which is a lot of sideways 1st gear topples and tuck n rolls vs the low side on the pavement that street gear is designed for :D

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:39 am 

Thanks for all the info guy, going to try and stop in at Rex supply and see what they have in stock.

Do you guys use for riding boots? I was just going to use a pair of steel toed boots, since I am going to drive it to work and need the boots their anyways. But went out on the trail what do you guys use?

Prairierider89

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:37 am 

I wear hiking boots if I'm riding light trails and full MX boots if I'm doing more aggressive stuff like bushwacking (no trail), log crossings, etc. Not required but I have old ankles and like the extra support. Also keeps me from getting stabbed in the shin by branches.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories