[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Jackets/Gloves
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories

Post subject: Jackets/Gloves
 Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:19 pm 

When I bought my wr last fall I ordered an icon arc jacket and gloves since they were both on blowout and I had nothing aside from dirt gear at the time. While I find the jaket to be snug it would still be a decent warm weather jacket for beating around town. The gloves are ok above 10 degrees, but not quite adequate below that (and my handwarmers get too hot for thinner gloves like this). I'm finding myself wanting a jacket and gloves that will be a bit better for cool weather. I'm thinking a touring style jacket probably 3/4 length and waterproof.

I'm curious what other people are running. I stopped in at Schraders last time I was in Yorkton and they seemed to only have Olympia gear over the $400 mark. I probably should have tried some on but at the time but I was thinking that was a lot of coin for a jacket. Is there anyone in Regina with a decent selection? I've found jackets I'm interested online at both canadasmotorcycle and bikerleathers.ca but am hesitant to order something as fitting can be kind of tough as I'm usually between a large or xl, short and fairly thick in the upper body.

Any opinion on polyester vs nylon? I've read elsewhere that poly holds up poorly if you go down, though many people refute this. It seems all the sub $350 jackets are poly.

Post subject: Re: Jackets/Gloves
 Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 pm 

Put it this way: if you go down, the jacket is probably going to be ruined anyway. Hopefully the armor will save you.

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:54 am 

I have a Tourmaster Transition Series 2. It retails for around $260 at Rec Supply, but I got mine online for $170. Haven't checked whether it's nylon or poly, but I'm guessing it'd be poly from what you said in your previous post.

I love the jacket, but there are a couple of minor things. The tang broke off the main zipper, which left me a little stub to pull the zipper up. Also, the velcro doesn't hold that well anymore, and if I'm riding in a good cross-wind or behind a semi the velcro in front tends to rip open in the wind unless I fasten it down just perfectly beforehand. Also there is a strip at the front around the zipper where the cold creeps through, even with the velcro flap closed properly. It seems like the insulation just doesn't quite come close enough to the zipper, so there is about a 1.5 inch wide strip around the zipper with essentially no insulation. Wearing thick layers underneath can compensate for this though.

That said, the jacket is comfortable, the waterproofing seems to work well, and it's well armoured. Also, I highly recommend the bright yellow, as it stands out in traffic and I'm sure it has saved me more than once. Other drivers see me when I'm wearing it, since it stands out so well - it's even better than red in my opinion.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:07 am 

Ditto on the Tourmaster suit. I have the pants as well. They come with liners that make them very warm down to freezing and once you remove the liners and open the many vents they are reasonbly cool as well. The pants have a strip at the back that zips to the jacket to keep your back warm as well.
I have got the black and agree with Kiffer that yellow is a much better option for visibility (mind you there is a little more of Kiffer to view than myself).
The only annoyance on mine is the velcro at the neck strap that tends to catch my helmet strap sometimes

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:39 pm 

I have been wearing a Rev'it Sand jacket and pants for the past 2 years. Really love this suit! It's perfect for those really hot days because of the awesome venting system. Then add the rain and thermal liner and you can wear it down to -20c and still be warm! The price is pretty sweep compared to the Tourmaster stuff. But having owned the transition 2 jacket I can say that the quality of the Rev'it gear is superior to the Tourmaster. Plus I like having the removable liners on those hot days!

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:58 am 

I did a lot of searching and after much thought decided on the Klim Traverse gear. It seems to get rave reviews, largely due to being goretex.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm 

What is the price on that stuff? Rec Supply has some Klim pants priced at almost $800 - just for the pants!! Even if it's good I can't see spending that kind of coin!?! :shock:

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:11 pm 

The traverse is their entry level line, the jacket and pants together are just shy of $700. They make a jacket that goes for $1500 and pants that go for a grand.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories