[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Camping Gear, What you have and want
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:48 am 

Wondering what everyone uses for camping gear on the bike. I love camping but have never done it on the bike so I am getting new camping gear and was wondering what everyone else is using. The tent I am looking at right now is a MSR Mutha Hubba, going to MEC next weekend in Edmonton to check it out. Hopefully its big enough for me and the better half when we go camping together but small enough to fit on my DRZ400. I am hoping to get my hands on a Giant Loop Coyote and a decent mattress/bed pad. Not sure what to get for a mattress/bed pad though. I picked up a Outbound Down Lite Mummy -3c sleeping bag with stuff sac,dirt cheap in the fall from Crappy Tire. So we will see how it does. First impressions are really good though, much nicer then any other sleeping bag I have had.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

I have the MSR Hubba Hubba tent and I love it. It's supposed to be a 2 person tent but really only good for one unless you're a midget. Its around 4lbs and sets up very easily. The only issue is that because the interior is all mesh, mice can chew though the mesh to get in!

I used to use a -7 down bag that packed down to almost nothing but it was a bit cold if the temps got down around 0C. . Now I use a synthetic bag that's rated -14 and is much better for camping in this province.

For a mattress I use a thermarest prolite which weighs about a pound. Couldn't do without it, plus it doubles as a super comfortable camping seat with the trekker chair sleeve.

This all fits easily in a 50L giant loop great basin bag with plenty of room for cooking stuff and other misc camping gear.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm 

I just got home on Monday from Calgary.
I went to Mountain Equipment Coop.
I bought the 2 man hubba hubba tent, but as has been said on this post already its more a one man tent. I also bought a 2 ltr camel back hydration bag.
a accordion foldup style "matress" for the tent. It has a "shiny" side that helps keep me warm.
a wear on head hands free flashlight
and I bought a Garmin Oregon and u bolt mounting bracket on line from GPS City
a Samsung galaxy 2 7.0 tablet. from Costco
and I stopped by GWCycle and bought a Voss dual sport helmet. It has a built in sunvisor so I didn't get any goggles.
My Acerbis 5.3 fuel tank is here and I got myself 4 oil filters and 10 ltr of motul oil and a can of motul o ring chain lube.
And now don't I feel like an ass as I don't take delivery of my 2013 DR650 until May 3rd. hahahahaha all this brand new stuff and I still don't have a bike.
My wife of course thinks I'm nuts. And that's being polite.
Its going to be fun setting up all this stuff.
Looking forward to riding and camping this summer.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 am 

Everyone's wife thinks they're nuts... :lol: :lol:

Fact is, my wife often raises her eyebrows :roll: at my purchases and stuff. She asked what was so great about the KTM 690 over my KLR... :shock: no one in this club would ask that question! :lol:

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:36 pm 

Whats so great about your ktm690 over your klr?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:22 pm 

:shock:

Naw, the KLR is a great all-around bike and an excellent adventure bike. But I find it is undersuspended and underpowered on the highway, which should both be rectified by the KTM.

Whenever I rode my XR I would wonder why they couldn't just make the KLR have that power.

The KTM will replace both my XR and my KLR - half the insurance! ;)

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:21 pm 

Sorry about that Kiffer
I meant that completely as a joke. :)

Kidding aside.
The KLR is WWAAAAAAAYYY too tall for me.
And the KTM isn't in my budget. I did sit on a 990 at the bike show and if I had 17,000 $$ that would have been my first choice to be sure.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 pm 

I initially had my doubts about the 990, but watching Ken ride his has convinced me that it is an awesome adventure mount and capable of a lot more off-road stuff than you would think from its size. But you're right that the $17,000 price tag is a bit much to swallow.

My upcoming 690 is a used '09 - I couldn't afford the $13 G for a new one either. Headed to Calgary on Monday to pick it up - assuming there is no cracks in the cases etc.

Sorry to hijack this thread! Getting back to camping gear, I have a Eureka 1 person tent. It is just big enough to house me with my helmet beside me, and I can just sit up in it. But it's really small and light (under 3 lb). I also have a sleeping bag that packs up into a tiny bag, but it's a bit cool unless outdoor temps stay above about +7. I also have a penguin outer bag that I got from MEC, and I bring that if it's going to be cooler. Then I'm good down to close to 0. It's all tiny and packs up nice and small, so I can put both tent and sleeping bags in my 49L Ortlieb bag, along with clothes, toiletries and shoes/sandals. I usually pack my tools, spares, and rain gear in my KLR saddlebags.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 am 

yes. Back to topic at hand.
This will all be totally new to me as I pulled a Westons Tent trailer with our MM Yamaha royal Star venture.
And being a newby to dualsport riding I will be placing me and my new tent in the slowpoke category on this ride.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:03 pm 

Went to MEC today knowing I was going to buy a msr mutha hubba and walked out with a MEC Tarn 3 instead..lol after talking to a couple of the staff my decision changed. Its a bit heavier but not by much. Also picked up a clymer, new grips, jersey, and tried on all kinds of boots. Decided to order in a pair of Sidi adventure rain.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories