[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Aux Lighting
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories

Post subject: Aux Lighting
 Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:22 pm 

Good day,

I'm looking for some aux lighting but don't want to draw too much extra power. Obviously this is steering me toward LEDs. Has anyone mounted any LED fog/flood/spot lights? Anything to think about with this ('09 KLR)?

I'm looking at these:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/d-series ... -s/224.htm

Either floods or diffused. I'd like to use them as something just to be seen by during the day but I'm worried they might even be too bright for that, especially towards dusk or early morning.

Post subject: Re: Aux Lighting
 Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm 

I don't have any experience with those lights, but my guess is that the diffused ones would be fine in the day. Also, if they're too bright you can always angle them down.

Nice to have extra lighting if you're riding in the dark! I don't know how the new KLRs are, but the headlight on my '07 needs help!

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 pm 

Have my denali D1's mounted on my crash bars and they work great. Tried them mounted on the windshield, but its illegal to mount lights above your headlamp so I moved them low. Makes a nice triangle making me more visible and they are mounted low enough that my signals are not washed out by the bright light. They throw farther than the headlamp and are a crisp clear white. Denali's come with two light covers as well so your beam can be narrow or wide.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 pm 

We're we're late getting back up in the mountains the other day. Didn't get out till 4am

It was dark. I was the only one with out led lights. I couldn't see a thing. Kinda dangerous

So I'm getting the Baja design lights as well. They were like 10x the light I had.

Don't forget to get the dimmer addon

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:27 pm 

I made the decision to add some aux lighting from Rigid. I ordered the 6" light bar here in the flood/spot combo;

http://www.rigidindustries.com/product- ... ries-6.htm

I'm trying to decide how I'm going to mount it, the main decision being fixed to the fairing or turning with the fork. I think it puts out a decent amount of light and I'm not sure I'd want that swinging around with the steering. Also, wear and tear on wiring is minimized in a fixed setup.

I have also been toying with an idea of the main bracket being fixed with a 2:1 type of mechanical linkage that would reduce the turning rate/travel by half. The light would pivot with the turn but not the full distance and not the full rate. I think it would be helpful to have light going to where you're looking but not necessarily swinging wildly with every correction. It might just end up being more hassle then anything but it's a fun thought project. :geek:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:25 pm 

The company I work for is looking into adding some led lighting to our new product and according to the guy working on the project it sounds like they draw next to nothing for power and pump out a lot of light. Might have to grab a set from the shop for testing on the bike.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 am 

Yeah for sure! That's why I'm going LED as well as 50k hr bulb life. I'm actually a bit worried it will be too bright to leave on all the time!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:03 pm 

you can check out my LEDs i just put on in my thread. funny

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 am 

I just install a Squadron LED. I have added pictures of the Trail Tech H2 (Halogen Light) on low and high beam and then one with the Squadron LED. (I don't have a dimmer on it) I don't have any pictures with the stock light as the bulb was burned out. It was so dim I don't think I could have taken one anyway.[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
IMG-20130705-00453.jpg
IMG-20130705-00453.jpg [ 936.03 KiB | Viewed 439 times ]
Trail Tech H2 Low Beam.jpg
Trail Tech H2 Low Beam.jpg [ 740.03 KiB | Viewed 439 times ]
Trail Tech H2 High Beam.jpg
Trail Tech H2 High Beam.jpg [ 907.86 KiB | Viewed 439 times ]
Squadron LED.jpg
Squadron LED.jpg [ 764.86 KiB | Viewed 439 times ]

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:11 pm 

That front end looks amazing! Definitely looks like a lot of light! Have you been getting flashed high beams at all by oncomers? :twisted:

My lightbar came in and I fab'd up a bracket for it and got it mounted/wired. I haven't 'finished' the bracket yet but I ran out of time at the shop so i just mounted it unpainted to get home. The bracket is mounted to the four mounting points for the front fender and follows the fender line forward. The light swings with the steering which I thought would be annoying but really doesn't swing that much in all but really slow technical riding where it will be more tolerable/beneficial anyway. The problem I do have is that it bounces vertically and I would like to eliminate that as much as possible.

I'll post some pics and then see if anyone has some materials ideas to help me out. The light itself is nice and bright and really white. Makes the yellow smudge of the stock one look pretty meager :lol:

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Gear and Accessories