[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Husaberg FE 390 Plateable in Sask?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:56 pm 

Does anyone happen to know if a 2010 Husaberg FE390 is plateable in Sask? Guy says it came factory street legal. I can call SGI tomorrow with the vin and see but they may not even know. I know I would have to do all the out of province inspection BS but it should be fine. This is the one im looking at http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motoc ... nFlag=true

I can get it for $6k

-ACT Wide Ratio Gears
-Hotcams Stage 2 Cams
-FCR39 MX Carb
-Yoshimura RS2 full system

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:00 pm 

should be fine. my friend had the 570

dont see signals on. took them off??

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:10 pm 

He says they are back on now along with a horn. Also tires are not DOT legal but I have some takeoffs i can throw on there for the inspection. Thanks a ton, might pull the trigger on this one if it looks good.

-ACT Wide Ratio Gears
-Hotcams Stage 2 Cams
-FCR39 MX Carb

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:26 pm 

let me know if you decide not to take it

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:02 pm 

Note: 570 was actually imported and sold into Canada as a street-legal bike for a few years (around 2010-2012?). The 390 was NOT! Too bad - perfect displacement for Sask!

I used to live in Calgary, and the AB guys all do this - they plate non-legal bikes for the street. You can always find some license issuer that will give you a plate for it, and if they don't just go to the next one. Same applies here.

This does not make the bike legal to ride on the street! If you are in an accident SGI will not cover you.

Years ago there was a thread on a fully-legal way to get an RUM (restricted use motorcycle) plated in Saskatchewan. Check out: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=671, and viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1020. In particular, look at Shorty's post on what to do, and my post showing the inspection form on the 2nd thread listed here.

There are several hoops to jump through. The easy ones are adding signals and proper lighting and DOT tires and such. The harder ones include exhaust designed for the street and suspension designed for the street. The advantage is that if the 390 has the exact same suspension as the street-legal version of the 570 then you don't actually have to modify the suspension at all. KTMs are like this - the 300 XC-W has the same suspension components as the 500 EXC and 350 EXC, and therefore the dealer can confirm in the inspection form that the suspension components are valid for a street-legal bike.

If you do decide to try it, keep us all posted on how it goes. Lots of us would be interested. I would not suggest doing the "illegal" version - it could cause you a lot of problems.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:17 pm 

Here's the form I received from SGI. It's listed as '05-'08 but I assume it's still valid. On the 2nd page is the list of conditions that must be met by you and confirmed by the dealer inspection.

One interesting note after a bit of discussion on the SDSC Facebook page is that point 5 in the list of items indicates that rims must be DOT or CMVSS approved, so I guess there is some sort of system there. The story was that a guy I talked to from Calgary had an FE390 and got some Alberta license issuer to give him a plate for it. He had all the lights, etc. and a valid plate, but got stopped by the wrong cop on the wrong day. The guy knew the law around that stuff and wrote him up for everything on the bike - each item being an individual ticket!! I think that it was over $4000 by the time he fought it in court and lost. I had mentioned that one of the things he was written up for was not having DOT approved rims, and another SDSC had questioned whether there was any system of DOT rim approval. Looks like there is, at least according to this form.

If you have a bike that is close to a street-legal model (i.e. DRZ400E versus DRZ400ES) then the switch to make it legal might be pretty straightforward. But for other bikes it might not be. Husaberg imported the FE570 as a street-legal bike, so I would check closely if the 390 had the same suspension, rims, and brakes. If so it might be easy to get the thing plated completely above board.

Attachments:
RUM_Conversion_Inspection_Form_(05-08).pdf [15.14 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:28 pm 

Thanks a bunch but I didnt take the bike and went for a 2005 400 exc instead, the guy selling this bike just wasnt making it easy.

-ACT Wide Ratio Gears
-Hotcams Stage 2 Cams
-FCR39 MX Carb

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:10 pm 

Enjoy the 400. Nice bike!

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion