[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Thinking on a V-strom 650
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:35 pm 

Just wondering who all has some saddle time in the strom? Looking for something a bit more road/highway capable than my klr, yet still good for dirt/gravel roads and has similar fuel range. Thinking of going with something new or like new later model. Are there any 2016's kicking around in showrooms still?? Have had the klr for 10 years now, bought in the fall of 2007. Its time for something fresh.

This march down the baja, did the whole thing this time! Brother tagged along on his vulcan 900 custom.

Attachments:
20170217_122941.jpg
20170217_122941.jpg [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 843 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:48 pm 

i had a new strom 650. i didnt like it on gravel roads. forget about ever going off road. KLR is a pig but can go offroad if you need to

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:29 pm 

Snobear has one and I rode it and it's very nice on gravel roads but you may have to upgrade the suspensions specially the front; snobear did. You also need a 50/50 tire at the front or better. You can still do light off road but it's no KLR or KTM, you just don't have enough suspension travel. If you are looking for a bike to go to Prudhoe bay or Inuvik a storm is a very good bike. Lots a riders think that you need a 21 inch front wheel for gravel but I don't think so. I had a r1200gs for many years and I presently ride a f800gsa and Yes the 800 is better on the technical stuff but on gravel roads I don't see a big advantage with the bigger wheel. The 19 inch is also way better on paved road. It's all about where you want to go!

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 am 

I have put about 70,000 on the 650 Vstrom now. Had a F650 Beamer before that. For an all around say 75 highway 25 back road bike it is very good. Loves to eat up gravel roads and logging roads but yes the short suspension travel and weight will hurt you on the serious offroad stuff. Not that you cannot do it but it is work. I installed Racetech valves and springs in the front and a heavier rear spring which makes it much better on rough stuff and washboard roads. I have put several 1000km plus days in the saddle and that is where the Strom shines. I have been running Mitas E07 rear and Heidinau K60 front the last few sets which works well. In considering a new bike for the future I have narrowed it down to either an Africa Twin or a new 650 Strom. The highway performance/handle of the Strom is better for sure but the Twin is better off road with the 21" front and more suspension travel. Question is what do we ride most as no bike suits all situations perfectly. And the Strom is probably $5,000 cheaper than the Twin.
Would be glad to answer any questions you have on the Strom.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:24 pm 

I've put just over 10,000 kms on the Africa Twin. I would say the suspension travel would be it's biggest plus. Even the frost bumps on some of the secondary highways that used to rattle my spine on the Harley are barely noticed on the AT. It will run on the highway 150+ kph with no issues that I've noticed so far. The AT is only about 10 lbs heavier than the Strom and has 30 more hp. I'm on my second set of Mitas E07's. My guess is that the VStrom segment (Tiger, Versys etc) will start coming out with better suspensions very soon.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:37 pm 

every time I test ride an African twin its "this bike is awesome" every time I set one up or install accessories on one its " never buying one, Honda is retarded". To all the at owners or people thinking on one, do not buy the luggage! It's so shitty. I hate installing the battery. I hate installing the front fender with the shitty reflector covers that are suppose to hold the brake hoses/abs wire which would probably just end up being riped off on the first muddy road.

I was into flogging my klr off road for the first few years but it's not an off road bike, nothing around 500lbs is.... in the hands of a skilled rider they will go places but it's not much fun sometimes and the risk of crash or injury is high. I ride solo most of the time so I don't push it. And then on the other hand would I attempt a hill climb with an African twin knowing I have 50/50 shot making it or having it wheelie out and crash? I don't think I would attempt half the stuff with the African twin as I have with the klr.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:25 am 

Ha, you're so right. I have however plugged my front fender with mud so bad (twice) that the wheel stopped turning and I fell over. Not fun poking at mud with a stick for an hour in the middle of nowhere. I thought of modifying my fender but decided it was better to modify my riding. Fender didn't break though. It fell over on the (Honda) paniers, they didn't break either. The paniers are wobbly but attach cleverly and are very light. They are also high and far enough back to not interfere with riding. If I were doing a lot of long distance stuff I think I'd go with a soft bag system.

Having said that everything nowadays is engineered for "just good enough". I like the discussion of the perfect motorcycle. I still haven't found it.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:01 pm 

Haven't spent a pile of time on one, but I have ridden both the 650 and the 1000. They are both great bikes if you use them for what they're meant for. Don't plan on going off-road too much - easy trails maybe if it's dry, but best to stick to dirt roads, gravel and pavement. It is a pretty comfortable bike for distance riding, if you want to put some miles on.

Buy it and use it for what it's meant for. Keep your KLR or get a dirt bike for off-roading.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:54 pm 

Ended up with a 2017 xt. Definitely a step up from the klr. Lowered the air pressure in the tires, seems to cruise right along on gravel that way.

Attachments:
20170722_153456.jpg
20170722_153456.jpg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 753 times ]

Last edited by John0270 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm 

Great looking bike, definite improvement over the old design.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion