[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - New guy saying hi!
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion

Post subject: New guy saying hi!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:06 pm 

Hello everyone!

Just joined the forum yesterday as I was searching around for trails near Regina. Glad to see a DS community to touch base with.

FYI - I do NOT currently own a bike! Had a few growing up on the farm, had a few street bikes since, looking at getting a dualsport, hopefully this summer. My bike history:

Yamaha DT-80
Suzuki something or other 125CC, trail or DS, not sure.
1981 CR250
1975 Kawasaki 900 street bike (don't remember the model)
1987 Suzuki Intruder 750
2005 Suzuki Intruder 1400

Being 40 years old now, with a 30-32" inseam and pushing 225lbs, I'm thinking of getting a stout little DS for fun and running around the city. I'm eye-balling the TW200 by Yamaha.

I type this as I sit here with a broken ankle. :P

Here's a question for those interested in answering... if you were to buy a house or acreage, with DS fever on the brain, where would you buy within 20 minutes of Regina? I was looking at a couple places in Coppersands but will also be looking at what's available in Pilot Butte. Looking to sell my house in the city and would really like a place that's outside the city, but a short commute. I like playing with loud toys like motorcycles and remote control cars (HPI Baja). Also, not looking to spend so much on a place that I can't afford a motorcyle!

Of course, being plated, I could drive it anywhere to ride but would rather have trails close by for quick rides if I so choose.

Appreciate any feedback! Look forward to meeting some of you in real life one day on the trails!

Rider77.

Post subject: Re: New guy saying hi!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:37 pm 

Welcome to the group! If your looking to get back into riding on the cheap and don't mind kicking there is a 1989 dr 600 for sale on kijjii and ouch hope your ankle heals

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:41 am 

Thanks Forest!

That DR seems like a decent bike, but I'm a short guy. I'm not afraid of more motor, but I would like something I can easily throw around so the lighter the better. I'd also like to sit on it with both heels on the ground. I realize I won't be doing any major jumps without bottoming out, but if I get to that point where I want to, I may get something different.

The CR250 was challenging me in regards to height, and I could have handled more power even though it was quite peppy. Jumping on it was a thrill for sure, but I was a lot younger back then.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Rider77! Hope you can find a bike this year

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:09 pm 

Thanks invariant!

I think before I commit to a TW200, I'll look at other options. I should probably visit a couple shops in town and sit on a few bikes. I'm starting to think it won't be long after bottoming out a few times that I'll wish I had more suspension travel. I really, really want to feel comfortable though. I loved being able to just stand up over my Intruder 750 and let go of the handlebars, but I realize I'll have to settle for a happy medium. I'd also like it to be more highway worthy, I'm seeing a lot of people saying that the Tdub is pretty slow for highway travel. Passing could be hazardous. Bigger motors mean bigger weight though.... ahh, decisions.

Rider77

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

I work with a guy who has a 2015 or 16 crf250l that he's looking to sell. He keeps it down in White City. It'd be a bit taller than the tw200 but more versatile I think.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 am 

I was looking into the CRF250L yesterday as it also seems interesting. I heard somewhere that they are made in China now and the build quality has gone downhill, any truth to that? I didn't verify that info. I also watched a vid where a guy compared it to a Yamaha equivalent, I think perhaps it was the XT250? He pointed out a number of qualities that the Yamaha had over the Honda, such as a 30lb weight advantage, larger fuel tank, sprung levers, etc.

How much does he want for his Honda? I grew up on Honda quads (when I wasn't riding bikes) and am a fan, but if there's truth to the above points, I have no problems getting into a Yamaha, or maybe Suzuki, perhaps Kawasaki. There's a KLX 250s on Kijiji out of Moose Jaw, didn't do any research on that one yet.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

He's asking 3200 for it. Its a 2016 with about 5K kms on it

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

The big difference I see is that the XT250 is only 5 speed. From what I've seen, that thing will barely do 110km/h on the highway with a sub 140 lb rider.

I think a WR250 would beat both bikes but it has a pretty high seat in comparison.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:09 pm 

The Honda 250l is a made in Thailand, like most of the newer gen honda bikes(and the Yamaha for that mater). The 2017 and 2018 250l have a bit more power than the previous models. If you can find a Kawasaki Super Sherpa in decent shape they are exactly what your after. More power than the xt, 6 speed trans, low seat height, made in japan quality. still not gonna be a highway bike. The klx has a decent suspension but the least power out of all of them.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion