[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - New guy saying hi!
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New guy saying hi!
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:16 pm 

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Super Sherpa.... I knew that wrang a bell. I know someone that has one. Last time I saw it, a few years back, it was sitting in his garage with an electrical problem. Probably still sitting there and if so, I would imagine the gaskets are dried up too.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:26 am 

Welcome to the club! Hope you find a bike soon so you can take advantage of the riding season as soon as your ankle heals.

I've heard of many people who love their DR, and the WR for that matter. Perhaps you can get the seat carved out to make it easier to straddle.

And hey, don't forget the trusty KLR! I rode for a couple years with two short dudes who muscled that beast everywhere. I loved mine but decided to go for more power.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:27 pm 

Thanks kirvball!

There's a KLR 650 on kijiji right now, an '06 with 9000kms, he's asking 2500 bucks. I'm wondering how heavy it will feel. I like the thought of more power, but height and weight are major considerations for me. Also, it would be more expensive to plate than a 200 or 250 CC. I am eye-balling it though, all options are on the table until I get to sit on some of these bikes to see how they feel. Once I feel comfortable enough with my ankle to sit on bikes, I'll be visiting some shops in town to get a feel for various models. I also need to find the cash, I don't really want to put it on my credit, at least, not all of it. Just got my credit down and not looking to rack it back up again. Wish the DR and KLR were in Regina, not really looking to drive 2+ hours just to sit on a bike. I may have to sit on similar bikes here and compare numbers before committing to the drive.

Speaking of finances and buying things, I'm going to look at a couple places for sale in Coppersands today. I like the locations and price tags, but you don't own the land out there. The land is rented/leased and the current cost is $675 monthly, which seems pretty high. It includes water/sewer and would negate property taxes, but still... it would add around $3200 yearly above what I pay now in taxes/water/sewer fees in my current home.

Ramblings complete.

Rider77

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:40 pm 

The KLR is not a light bike, but it's manageable. And it'll go anywhere.

And leased land always freaks me out after hearing stories about owners jacking up their price out of the blue. But, I doubt that's an issue with the places you're looking at. Beats me, I don't understand the leasing angles in real estate.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:18 pm 

An 06 KLR works out to about $140/month and say a 06 Honda CRF250L is less than half that at like $60/month.

https://mysgi.sgi.sk.ca/afFeeCalc/feecalculation.do <- handy little page SGI made. I think 400cc is the breakpoint but don't quote me on that. Also year makes a difference; my 89 KLR comes in at $101/month.

(no discounts applied to these so it's the base rates)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:32 pm 

For insurance purpose, once you are over 400 cc you may as well buy a liter bike, ridiculous.

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:56 pm 

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:03 pm 

Former: 82 Honda XL500R, 80 KZ750LTD, 01 XT225, 80 XS650, 07 Vulcan 900, 08 Vulcan 500, 03 Vulcan 500, 83 KZ440LTD

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:48 pm 

Thanks Palooka!

That sounds interesting. All options are still on the table but I'm thinking of getting something in the 350-450cc range. A DRZ400S looks nice, but the price tag doesn't. There's a guy with a couple of old DT400's in Swift Curent which is interesting, my first bike being a DT80. They're yellow though.... ugh. I think my ankle is well enough to sit on a few bikes now and will probably visit a few shops over the next couple days.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:09 pm 

I saw some bikes in person yesterday at a couple dealers. First at Open Road Recreation, I saw an XT250 and a WR250R. The look and extra power of the WR were appealing, but the seat height and price were not. I was able to sit on the XT with one foot on a peg and had the other heel on the ground. I was impressed with how good it felt aside from the bars being a bit low. Perhaps some risers would solve that. I'd have to actually ride it and stand up on it while moving to see what's what. They're having a ride day on June 14th and I was invited to come and drive a couple bikes but hopefully I'll have my bike of choice by then.

I then went to Alsport and saw a CRF250L and DRZ400. They are both taller and seemed heavier. The CRF250L still has it's appealing points, such as a fuel gauge and lower price point. However the small tank, weight and height have me considering other options. It also helps that it's not green or yellow. Why are they coloring bikes like boogers and puke? LOL! The DRZ is appealing for the bigger motor, but when I asked about lowering it, they didn't seem too confident that it would be easy to get it as low as I wanted it. A foot on the peg with a heel on the ground is comfortable enough and the XT does that for me without a bunch more effort and money to make it happen.

I'm leaning towards an XT250. It seems a more capable bike than the TW200, easier to handle than the others listed above. I also like the simplicity of it without rads to get damaged on the trails. It looks like a simple and solid platform. I haven't seen a Kawasaki yet, maybe I need to go find one at a dealer. I read somewhere that the Kawi's are the leaders in regards to suspension. I'm kindof expecting to have to do something to the suspension on most of these bikes to accommodate my 225# butt! Still doing research, reading and watching vids on youtube. Checking used bikes for sale online but there's not a lot of modern dual sports available around here. There's a couple of XT's for sale in Alberta (2013+ for the EFI) and I would consider making the drive if I had to.

Rider77

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion