[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Making an 'off road' bike road legal?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:42 pm 

Hey guys. New to Saskatchewan and I'm not too familiar with the regs yet. I'm looking to pick up a bike and build it for next year's Baja. I'm on the fence at the moment between an XR650R or the CRF450X. The bike needs to be road legal for use in Saskatchewan. Has anybody successfully converted an 'off road' only bike for road use here? If so, what's the process? I'm aware the XR comes in the street-legal L model, and I know that KTM offers some models that are already legal that would compete with the 450X, but I'm kinda set on riding red. Thanks in advance!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 pm 

SGI used to let you plate a bike that was designated by CMVSS as a "Restricted Use Motorcycle". These will have the letters "RUM" stamped into the sticker usually located on the steering stem on the frame. To do it officially, you had to add all of the street hardware, tires, muffler, reflectors, etc., and then technically you had to change the suspension components to components from a street legal bike. This made plating something like a CRF450X difficult, but something like a DRZ400 E model (the non-street version) was pretty straightforward because it came with the same suspension components as the street legal DRZ400ES. Many KTM non-legal models also have similar suspensions to the 500 EXC and 350 EXC - I was looking at a 300 XCW as a neat project street bike at one point.

However, I think they have recently quit doing this. See the footnote at the bottom of this web page: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/regist ... index.html.

If you decide you want to try the unofficial version (I don't condone this, but some people do it) you could just try setting it up to comply with all of the things on this web page: http://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/regist ... tions.html. Then go to SGI and ask them to plate it for you - just give them the VIN and the make and model. They may require an inspection, or they may flat out tell you that they can't plate that bike, but people have done it.

** Keep in mind if you do this you may not be covered by SGI in event of an accident!** They have every right to refuse coverage if you have misrepresented anything, or if you have registered a vehicle type that they don't allow to be registered. You could be paying for the rest of your life if you injure someone else while riding your bike if you don't have liability insurance.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 am 

And few guys managed to get WR's and such plated, but I also know of 2 that got a letter telling them it was no longer legal! A KTM 530exc from 08 and up is a popular choice, the new 500 and 350exc also but they're pricey and fuel injected, makes me wonder about fuel quality?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:10 am 

I know that when they implemented the same thing in Ontario I had a KLX300R that I plated and if it was done before the law change, the bike was and will be always considered legal. (might have changed been a couple years) Could be something to look into and maybe find a used one.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion