[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Poll: 'User-Based Insurance'
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion

Would you use an SGI GPS monitoring device on your bike.
Yes 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
No 92%  92%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 48

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Please read the thread for details before voting.

Thanks.

*NOTE: Polls don't appear to work in Tapatalk so you'll have to use a computer to vote.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:38 pm 

Thanks for setting that up, Ken. This way I'll be able to give SGI some details on how many SDSC members are for and against this idea.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:28 pm 

How about a MAYBE..................... ...........big part of my decision making will be what kind of a hassle it will be to have this installed and I would like to know more about quality control procedures so I know that the unit is capturing my data accurately - Will I be able to see and verify my data - say with data collected by my own GPS unit?

Part of my " unease " with SGI collecting this is how confident I will be that my data is accurate and the only way I can be convinced it is accurate is by me being able to see and verify the data - this can be done by comparing it to data I collect with my GPS - If SGI is just going to say "TRUST US - I am from the GOVERNMENT and I am here to HELP you idiots" then SORRY but you have to earn my trust by showing me the data - GPX format is universal so there should be no data-base reason you cannot give users back their data.

If I can verify that your unit is collecting the same info as my GPS then great, but if there is a problem I want to spot it so SGI is not collecting garbage and using that for rate setting. Garbage in - Garbage OUT!

SGI is not going to know if the data they are collecting from me is accurate, but I will if I can access it and compare it to data from my GPS.

So there, I am getting off the fence with a definite MAYBE!! I need it to be hassle free and I want to be able to verify my own data.

Call me a "pin head" but I do have the GPS skills to verify my own data.

EXAMPLE: My Ducati speedo is out by about 10% as 110kph = 100kph on my GPS. At 50kph it is out about 5% - My BMW F650 speedo is out by 7% as 107kph = 100kph on my GPS - at lower speeds it is out by 3-4%. It is my understanding that all bike manufactures inflate the speeds on their speedometers but there is no industry wide standard as to how they do that. So, I hope and I predict that SGI will be collecting all of the data about acceleration, deceleration, speed ect ........strictly from the GPS data, but I have not read this anywhere. If the data collected is all derived from GPS data than it can be compared to Garmin GPS data as there are industry standards for all GPS units.

In advance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sticks and Stones.............................to the guy(s) who is/are going to call me "a fence sitting pin head"!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 pm 

I asked the same thing at the meeting. Your data is all available to you anytime you want. You just log in and view it. Not only that, the system uses Google Maps, so it shows a map of everywhere you rode and every point where the system flagged you for speed or acceleration/braking.

Also, it uses only GPS data, not your speedo. For it to flag you for speeding you'd have to be doing 118 in a 100 zone. Not sure if you get flagged only once when you go over the limit, or if it's based on the amount of time or the number of km you were over the limit for. I plan to contact SGI and see if they can find that out for me.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:35 am 

People exceed 18% over the limit all the time to overcome vehicles only to resume cruise at or slightly over the speed limit. What happens exactly when this occurs? A point against your insurance or something?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:53 am 

True. I'm not sure if you have to be over the 118% limit for a specified time or what. Another question to ask.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:18 pm 

I ride 12 to 20k km a year and always ride 15 to 30km/h over the speed limit on major highways but normally follow the speed limit in town/city. Not sure about acceleration/de-acceleration but I know it's way faster than the typical car. No tickets for the last 10+year, so I'm not sure what SGI would think about my driving habits so, I not sure about this tracking either but I would volunteer for the survey.

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:12 pm 

I have been thinking more about this and I can see at least on weakness of the use of this technology for motorbikes - SGI will have your data, but it will have ZERO information about the conditions or more importantly the other vehicles and obstacles you are encountering as you drive.

For Example: Last year I did a trip down to the Black Hills. I am a pretty conservative rider - always driving on the defensive - rarely do I exceed 105kph on the highway for any distance (just to pass). Once I hit highway #85/200 in the states, the oilfield traffic was a ZOO :o ......... and in places the road conditions were down-right beyond dangerous. Big truck traffic was doing 75-80mph and after getting to Watford City it was pretty obvious that traffic enforcement had been sacrificed for the need to tap that oil reserve and the oilfield workers new that.

On many occasions oilfield trucks would come from no-where and be 2m off my rear tire - I would speed up - they would speed up - I would speed up more - they would speed up more. They could not pass cause there was the same craziness coming the other way. It was a death race! If SGI saw ONLY my GPS data for what I had to do on that highway to stay alive - they would have considered taking my license away. :roll:

I did not like doing it one bit and several times I pulled over on the shoulder to try and get my adrenalin level and heart rate under control. It was just stupid ........but I was caught in a mess!

Under the proposal SGI might be able to see what you are doing, but the real weakness of the proposed data collection is that they will see nothing of what may be happening all around you ..........that you must respond too.

Yea, the more I think about this the dumb-er it looks!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 pm 

Will they require us to have breathalizers on our bikes even without a history of drinking and driving. Some how this is turning into guilty until proven innocent.

2012 wr250

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:47 pm 

hahahaha yeah.....

NOT!

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion