[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Diefenbaker day trip
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post subject: Diefenbaker day trip
 Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:15 pm 

Ok, I've posted a few smart-ass comments, but no ride reports or anything, mostly because I don't bother documenting anything. Happened to have the camera one day last year and just stumbled across a couple pics so I thought so thought I'd post them for the heck of it.

Last summer my buddy, SDSC member roberto (an in-law, but still a buddy), and I decided to do a loop out over Gardiner Dam and around West side of Diefenbaker and back over Riverhurst ferry and back.

Route:
- Straight shot NW to Davidson on 11 with an obligatory ice cream in Chamberlain.
- West on 44 past Loreburn to Danielson Prov Park. 44 was actually really nice and pretty, with just a bit of farm equipment traffic. VERY hot day, kept speed up to keep cool. :D
- on towards Danielson and a picture/rest stop on top of the Dam.

Former: 82 Honda XL500R, 80 KZ750LTD, 01 XT225, 80 XS650, 07 Vulcan 900, 08 Vulcan 500, 03 Vulcan 500, 83 KZ440LTD

Last edited by palooka on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Diefenbaker day trip
 Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:30 pm 

- From West end of dam to Hwy 45 going south. Again, nice views, great Sask country
- Stopped in Birsay for a short water break. Happened to be in front of a nice church. Obligatory church picture...

- Grid 373 hard and fast (but dusty) straight South to meet up with 42. Maintained speed to maintain cool breeze again.
- Hwy 42 East towards Diefenbaker and the ferry. Hauled ass to ensure we made it in time. We did.
- refreshingly cool, but short ferry ride (when I was a kid, the coke machine on that thing worked. Not anymore!).

- East on 42 past Riverhurst, Butte, quick detour North on 19, East on 367 to Tugaske to see family in the cemetery, then carry on East to Eyebrow and back on 42 East to Tuxford.
- 202 past Buffalo Pound and 301 South to Trans Can and home to Queen City (maintaining cool breeze speeds).

Was the last run on the stock tires (trying to get last couple highway kms out of them) 18000kms. Very happy with the new K60 Scouts so far.

500+ kms.

Former: 82 Honda XL500R, 80 KZ750LTD, 01 XT225, 80 XS650, 07 Vulcan 900, 08 Vulcan 500, 03 Vulcan 500, 83 KZ440LTD

Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:39 pm 

I have ridden this route a few times, once on the slab and the rest of the times on goat trails! Was going North once and hit a rut which resulted in things going south quickly! Invariants tool kit straighten this out enough to make it home.

Saw water shot out of a KLR tail pipe about 4 m on one trip as well! They do not walk on water ?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:26 pm 

Any nice roads/two track trails around blackstrap?
I havent been near there in years.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:12 am 

You bet! There is pits, irrigation canals, gravel roads, goat trails, TCAT and military base all out my door step. I just have to quit spending all my time riding around on my tractor and get on my bike! Maybe I can get snobear to rig me up a 3 point hitch for my KLR?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:51 am 

awesome. I'll have to check it out, though I've spent many many years "touring" Dundurn and I doubt there's but a couple of roads I'd take my VStrom on. Most would be sand, no? Regardless, sounds good. More to explore.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:37 am 

It varies from sand to gravel or even sandy loam. When you add as much water to any of it that we have had lately it turns to snotty $#|¥! It's real greasy around here now even on the gravel roads, it does dry quickly though.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:25 am 

Thanks for the write-up -- looks like some great day-trip rides out of S'toon that I should try!

Rod.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides