[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - The Somewhere Between: Part 2 - Two KLRs to Patagonia
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:13 pm 

After the great time we had in the Vancouver area, Colin and I began our journey south, making our first border crossing! It wasn't a huge deal obviously as we have been to the States many times before, but still a first on this trip. Colin had found a marine shop that carried the size of Pelican cases he wanted to replace his busted ones with so we made our first stop in Washington. In the parking lot we used a drill borrowed from the store and got his new cases all mounted up and carrying the load rather than his bags being tied on with rope.

From here the plan was to go take the Boeing factory tour in Everett but by the time we got there we had missed the last tour of the day. No worries, we'll come back and check it out tomorrow. We made our way into Seattle where we met our host for a couple nights, Rick, whom I got in touch with on MotoStays.com, a couch surfing-esque site for motorcyclists. We parked our bikes behind his building, had a beer on his rooftop patio, and then went out for Tapas. We had great food and drinks there, made our way to a bar next door and continued the great conversation. Rick has been all over and had so many great stories to share. He's also a pilot, so the three of us had common ground there, and him and Colin are history buffs, so the conversation was always interesting. Oh, and he's a great impressionist!

We woke the next day with the plan of going back to the Boeing factory and then heading downtown and checking out Pike's Place market among other things. The Boeing tour was really cool and definitely worth doing. They have the world's largest factory in Everett and the size really was unbelievable. We got to see the lines where they build 767s, the huge 747, and the brand spankin' new 787 Dreamliner. I wasn't allowed to bring my camera on the tour, unfortunately, so again I'll say it's worth checking out if you're around Seattle. After the tour was done, however, we got to see one of the Dream Lifters come in and unload, which was really neat. They modified a 747 to carry huge sized cargo, specifically the parts for the 787 which is assembled here. Airplanes are magic.

We rode back to Rick's, grabbed some coffees and amazing biscuits, and hopped on a bus downtown. Pike's Place was a really cool spot with such a variety of wares being sold. Tons of fresh seafood, vegetables, handmade leather items, killer electric guitars and basses, and everything else that can be made. I really dug this place and loved just wandering around taking photos and talking with the makers at various stands.

From the market we walked a couple miles to get to an REI where I wanted to pick up a footprint for my tent. It seemed every shop in Canada was sold out for my Copper Spur UL2, and so was this REI. I ended up buying one over the phone from the REI in Henderson, NV where I would be in a couple weeks' time to pick it up. With that out of the way we walked over to the Space Needle, which wasn't hard to find, and checked out the surrounding park. There were tons of neat sculptures and structures that were built for the World Fair in 1962.

After walking around a while longer we hopped a bus back towards Rick's place where we grabbed some Pho and wine for the night. A huge thanks to Rick being such a gracious host to us! Seattle was great!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:52 pm 

Pelicans rule! Drop my bike many times and they are scuffed up but still together.

Following along.

Those pink tigger pants gotta go before you hit South America, they frown on that shit! Lol

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:21 pm 

These guys are in Mexico now according to ADVrider, had a bit of an electrical problem caused by a crash.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:07 am 

Where in ADV rider?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:24 pm 

Hey folks, yeah we are down into Mexico now, my RR is a bit out of date due to my photo editing. It's hard to find time to sit down and work on it when there's always so much to see! We've also been camping most of the time, so limited power for the computer. That's enough excuses, though. We spent the last 4 days fixing my bike after I crashed on a sand road doing 80 km/h or so and managed to fry my CDI. Long story, but we're back on the road heading to Mike's Sky Rancho tonight! Thanks for following along! And yeah, this report's on ADV as well, under the same name.

Best Regards,

Jason

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 pm 

Your ok though?

I looked for you on ADV rider and couldn't find you.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:17 pm 

Where is our update! Hope these guys are doing alright.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:47 pm 

Great stuff guys, for sure a trip of a lifetime. I have following your trip (was riding with your dad,he told me about it) have fun,stay safe, and yes updates.lol

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:16 am 

I was following along on ADV and they dropped off of there as well. I hope they are just out of the web reach.

Hope all is well!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:26 pm 

I know from being there, internet can be really hit n miss in areas of mexico.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides