[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - 2 day loop
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post subject: 2 day loop
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:42 pm 

Well Sirenklx and I decided to go on a little ride Saturday to Northbattleford for lunch, we took gravel most of the way for her to get used to her bike and test our endurance, we crossed the river at the Maymont bridge then took the slab into Northbattelford for lunch. After that we had this crazy idea to ride to Meadow lake via the pavement. We got there and spent the night at the Travelodge.

The next day we took back roads and made our way to Big River then to Canwood where we stopped for lunch with some of my wife's old family friends. It was extremely hot all day but as long as we were moving it wasn't too bad. We then rode to PA then south to St. Louis where we stopped for a break and a swim in the river to cool off. Then headed south along the river to Batoche and made our way to Rostern then home.

Things we learned on this trip? 1) next time pack some snacks 2) when drifting/roosting on the 500 around gravel corners, make sure the wife isn't in range of projectile gravel [-X 3) the Drz Needs a bigger tank :-q 4) my wife surprised me with her resilience to crushing miles on gravel and slab 5) she now wants an even bigger bike, (she drank the Kool-aid

All in all it was a great two days, the bikes ran great and we proved to ourselves that we could do it, especially Siren, she pushed on and despite experiencing two days on a buzzy DRZ she got to experience a good great trip with lots of good memories. Total we rode 801kms, so now she is thinking she would like a bike that can do highway more enjoyably, any suggestions?

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 261.56 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 987.45 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 713 times ]
File comment: Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the flowers along the way.
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.4 MiB | Viewed 713 times ]
File comment: Getting gas;)
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 713 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 713 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 6.91 MiB | Viewed 713 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 968.9 KiB | Viewed 713 times ]

1990 Honda ST1100
1974 Honda Trail 90

Post subject: Re: 2 day loop
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

:clap: Looks like a great ride! Highways are a definite weakness with a DRZ and only 5 gears... but if you want to keep the weight down and keep the offroad ability there aren't that many options. Siren is pretty tall.. maybe she should just get a matching 500 EXC :-bd

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 pm 

I was going to suggest a bigger and much better bike...it starts with K and ends with LR...but you'll just tease me. =))

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 pm 

That sounds like an awesome trip! Lots of miles! Siren, let's go check these bikes out, there's two!! http://m.kijiji.ca/dirt-bikes-motocross ... Id=1700203

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm 

Great pictures guys! Looks like a great trip.

Maybe try gearing it a bit taller before you give up on the DRZ400, I don't really find Jen's that buzzy. I think we are running 14/44 right now. But factory it's supposed to be even taller, 15/44 I believe.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:54 pm 

Thx guys, Shorty those Beemers look pretty sweet, I bet she would be into that. Yes hers is currently geared 15/47, I'd like to get her a steering damper, bigger tank, seat concepts seat and probably 15/42-45? Gearing. She has come a long way from our first adventure loop of 150kms on the Klx then a couple 350km loops and now this first trip of 800kms on the Drz.

1990 Honda ST1100
1974 Honda Trail 90

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:00 pm 

After having a DRZ for a number of years I think you could be very happy with a few mods for comfort over shelling out for a new bike. It's such a reliable little tractor it would be a shame to get rid of it. Though let's be serious...I'm kinda talking out both sides of my mouth as I just sold my DRZ to make room for an EXC...a KTM is the answer to all questions except what is the most wallet friendly bike to own!!

Couple things on DRZ buzz: Gearing makes a surprising difference. The taller you go the less buzz you get. This will also make a big difference on range. Definitely worth trying taller gearing for cheap before blowing tons on a new tank (imo). I also found tire choice to make a big difference on this bike. Messing with your tire and air pressure combo is definitely worth it. Oddly enough my favorite combination ended up being AC10 rear and Trackmaster II front for both comfort and traction. You wouldn't think so for how aggressive that AC10 is but I was very happy with it. Still prefer it over D606 for comfort and no contest traction-wise. Bar weights are nice too. I got away with this and Skull Candy soft grips for a long time. Flexxbars are the answer if you really want the cush ride. That's the first mod on my incoming EXC :D

Or forget all that BS above and just get a 350 EXC ;))

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:44 pm 

Thanks for sharing that!

She always impressed me as a trooper, and she tolerates you too!

Your are a lucky man!

Today is my Bride and i's 27 th Anniversary , she tolerates me as well!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:52 am 

Congrats Corney. 34 years for us next month.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:40 am 

Congrats to both of you! And yes I am a lucky man, it will be 4 years together with my wife this September!

1990 Honda ST1100
1974 Honda Trail 90

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides