[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Glacier Country 2015 Alaska/Yukon/BC
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:48 am 

I did my Alaska Yukon trip in June and it was fantastic, something everyone should do at some point. I took three weeks but four would have been better. About 13,000 kms, weather was very good, met lots of very nice people/fellow riders.
Am just posting a few warm up photos today but some rainy day or two I am going to do a day by day report of the trip as there are lots of photos to share. Get this one on your bucket list of rides.

Rough mileage for the trip, fprgot to turn it on first thing a few morning so short a little on total mileage

The Dempster to the artic circle with Tom from New Brunswick and Wes from Indiana

Dust to Dawson, what a great get together for adventure riders

Bonanza Creek road south of Dawson

Chicken Alaska

Harbor at Stewart BC where we ship our raw logs to Japan rather than processing them here

Road past Salmon Glacier Hyder Alaska, the last half had not been cleared yet but could still get through

Pictures will never do this trip justice, you need to see it yourself

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:11 pm 

Awesome picks and ride! I'm thinking I should get the wife and myself a couple of stroms and do some epic trips like this!

1990 Honda ST1100
1974 Honda Trail 90

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:23 am 

From Whitehorse: :lurk:

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:15 pm 

I really owe it to my BMW to show it those routes at some point in the future. It would be sad if it didn't get to see them...

Thanks for sharing, Stan. More pics are good too!

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:38 pm 

Day 1 drove from my house at Wapiti to Macklin vis Erics place and then onto Macklin to spend a night with the group get together, 540 kms.

The group at Eric's house

Only went over three times on this trip and they were all within about a mile of this spot in the mud, front fender mod in the works

Camping at Macklin

Day two I planned on going to Nordegg and then up highway 40 to Grande Cache but got rained out at Nordegg so took the Icefields Parkway around and back up to Grande Cache. 931 kms

Water levels are very low through my whole trip

The start of many days of great senery

Campsite at Grand Cache

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 pm 

Grand beauty up there. I hope to make it to the territories this September

2014 KTM 500EXC
2003 HONDA 919 (Hornet 900)
2003 HONDA CRF450R

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:14 pm 

Day 3 Grande Cache to Fort Nelson, started out cold and rainy but ended up a nice day. 830 kms

Some unique bridges on the Alcan, this is just north of Dawson Creek

Campsite at Beaver Lake just west of Fort Nelson, had the whole place to myself

Day 4 Fort Nelson to Watson Lake, stopped at Laird Hot Springs, sure felt good after a cool morning again, 521 kms today as there is starting to be lots to see.

Starting to see critters now

The sign post forest

Now has my mark

Chris from California and Wes from Indiana. Wes ended up going to the Artic Circle with me

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:49 pm 

Day 5 Watson Lake to Whitehorse. I did an oil change in Whitehorse, bought my oil at the Yamaha shop and then went to the Envirolube shop where they let me change it in the back for no charge, great folks there.

A set of waterfalls that you do a short hike to

I think this was the bridge going down into Teslin

Braeburn Lodge has the biggest cinnamon buns you will ever see. The owner is an old biker dude who sold a bike to Stgeve McQueen at one point

Bridge just before Whitehorse

The old river boat now dry docked at Whitehorse

My campsite for the night, friends house at South McClintok River

Day 6 Whitehorse to Dawson

Some nice side roads showing up on the road to Dawson

Full rainbow downtown Dawson

The ferry at Dawson runs every 10 minutes and takes you across to the campground, it is close to town and you can just walk back

Jack Londons cabin

Robert Service cabin

Some of the scars of mining around Dawson, this is looking up Bonanza Creek

Campsite on the Yukon River

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:13 pm 

Day 7 we went from Dawson to the Artic Circle and back, it was a 950 km round trip and took us about 14 hrs but it is sunshine 24 hrs a day so no problem. Longest stretch with no gas was 385 kms to Eagle Plains. We all took gas but none of us needed it. My 650 strom took 14 ltrs, the 1000 strom took 18 ltrs and an F800 took 16 ltrs so really the bikes were very comparible on gas mileage considering the engine sizes.

The start of the Dempster

Lots of great senery all the way up

This creek feeds oiut of a mineral deposit so it is very orange, all others were crystal clear

Eagle Plains has gas and good food and then is is another 20 miles up to the Artic Circle

Left my mark at Eagle Plains

And at the circle. Tom came all the way from New Brunswick, 67 years old and rode hard on his 1000 Strom. Wes is from Indiana on hisa F800 and was on an extended ride throughout the north country. Even when you travel alone you always have friends, everywhere I went I met really cool people. Would I go again on my own, absolutely.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:38 pm 

Day 8 I spent in Dawson, it was Dusk to Dawson (D2D), an Adventure biker get together and fund rasier put on by the local fire department. They did a great job with a steak supper, bike games and a raffle. There were about 350 to 400 bikers at the event. I really fell in love with Dawson and stayed for four days.

The paddle Wheeler does tours several times a day

The view of Dawson and the two rivers coming together

D2D gathering

Bike games, slowest to the other end wins, foot down you are out

Blind fold riding, you rely on the crowd to point you in the right direction, yeh that did not always work so good

Passenger bites off the weiner, most bit off wins

A bit of a cross dresser

Setting up for the midnight photo

About 1:00 am heading home, this is the darkest part of the night

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides