[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Glacier Country 2015 Alaska/Yukon/BC
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:42 pm 

Excellent!
Thanks for sharing with us!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:30 pm 

Day 9 I did a loop around the Bonanza Creek road which is the loop several of the active mines are on. You go past old dredge #4 and can see lots of placer mining operations from very small to very large. 180 kms for the day.

This old wooden bridge is in need of some repairs

At claim 33 you can rent a gold pan and go panning in the nearby creek. When you are standing on the edge of the road it glitters in gold flecks.

Dredge #4 is well worth the guided trip, it is the largest surviving dredge in the world.

The rods going up from the clutches go up to the main control room

One of the water pumps

The size of everything is amazing for the age of it

The whole operation was run with electrical power

These are the controls that run the clutches below

As a millwright this stuff was really amazing to me

Back on the road, that is a small placer operation in the valley

And this is a very large one where the cut ran for well over a mile, they were pushing overburden with two D11's

If you watch Yukon Gold this is the Hoffmans mine, it was on a branch road off the doe road (Quartz Creek)

Several water crossings to get there

An old wooden dredge

And back on the Bonanza Creek road, it is a real nice ride and gets you into very nice high country

Some more small placer mines

Again from Yukon Gold Karl Knudsons mine

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:56 pm 

Day 10 finally had to leave Dawson and traveled over the top of the world highway to Delta Junction, 526 kms for the day. Ran into some smoke for the last half of the day but it was cleared by morning and I only saw smoke one other day on the whole trip when I passed back through this area on the return trip.

Top of the world highway is as it says high elevation so all tundra

Marmot of some sort, there were lots of them

This is the US border crossing. The Canadian and US stations are miles apart and not actually on the border but where they could make it work

Coming down into Chicken

This is new Chicken that you first come to, don't eat here

Carry on a few hundred yards and take a left turn into old Chicken and eat there

Started hitting smoky conditions at Tok

Yep it is dry everwhere

Campsite on the Clearwater River north of Delta Junction about six miles

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:47 pm 

Day 11, Delta Junction to near Willow (Trapper Creek I think it was called).
551 kms, no campsite picture today as I camped in an RV park for a shower and laundry mat.
Took the Glenallen highway south of Delta Junction and then the Denali Highway across to the highway going north into Fairbanks, don't remember the number. The Denali highway is about 120 miles of gravel and a bit of pavement at the east side. It is in good condition and lots of good senery.

Need to come back here someday with a truck camper and dirt bike as there are side roads everywhere that look so inviting.

You start seeing the Alaska pipeline here, some is overhead and some is buried.

Starting to see lots of moose now

Just thought this was a cool picture

The country is full of fireweed, it has a great odor as well

The water is so clear the bottom is visible for a long ways out

Breakfast at the start of the Denali Highway

There was still some smoke in the air

This little place has a bar and really good rubarb and strawberry pie. It is for sale for you enteprenuers

Livin off the grid

Do not build too close to the river, lesson learned

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:54 am 

Day 12, Willow through Hatcher Pass to Valdez. 535 kms.

The Hatcher Pass valley opened early this year, the day before I went up and they were still working on it. It typically opens the first week of July but due to the very low snowfall they got through early. This is a great pass with extremely green scenery and tight turns.

An old abandoned mine shaft but there are lots of tailings so it must go in quite aways.

This is the old Independence copper mine near the top of the pass

Once you leave the mine the road is paved again all the way into Palmer

Lots of Glaciers along the way

These are some rental cabins and a small restaurant near the old mine

Just before you get to Vladez

This is most of Valdez, the seaport towns are small but busy. A lot of fishing vessels at Valdez and the Alaska pipeline ends here and onloads to vessels.

They were cleaning fish here and the left overs go down this trough where the eagles and seagulls just land right beside you and eat. There were lots of Halibut coming in this day.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:57 am 

Day 13 Valdez to McCarthy and back to Chitina. You make a right turn off the Valdez highway to go down to Chitina and McCarthy and the last 60 miles into McCarthy is gravel, most of it on an old rail bed. The mine and glacier just past McCarthy at Kenneccott are something worth seeings for sure.

Valdez harbor in the morning, very peaceful.

This is the Alaska pipeline outload facility, there is security so you cannot go right in.

Barges in the harbor

The unfinished tunnel

Lots of snow left when you get near the seaports, they get up to 40' of snow in a winter

The gravel section going into McCarthy, the old bridge is part of the rail line that used to run to the mine

The Kennecott mine is an old copper mine but very interesting tour with the glacier right beside it

These are the old boilers

The gravel mounds you see beside the mine are sitting on top of the glacial ice, there were little lakes spread thoughout the gravel with ice around them

These are photos of McCarthy, the two photos are pretty much all there is, made famous by another Discovery TV show

This is the pedestrian bridge going into McCarthy. You can ride your bike across it and right up to the mine. If you come in a car you need to walk across and take the shuttles

These three photos are of a narrow bridge over a very high gorge, single lane traffic

The fish wheels were done, salmon had finished their run in Alaska and I missed them in BC as well as they had not made it down there yet

Do not park your RV in the river bottom

This is the start of the gravel section into McCarthy. It is single wide only as it was the old rail line

Campsite by the waterfall west of Chitina, what a neat place

That is the tent down by the creek

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:24 pm 

Looks neat up there. all that old stuff

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:18 pm 

Thank you for posting all the pics and the commentary. I enjoyed the McCarthy pics. I was wrapped up in that show for a while until I got tired of all the drama.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:06 am 

Was the 650 Vstrom a good bike for that trip? Some big days on a KLR I think. I have been looking at the bigger Vstrom for quite some time as well. Everything is on hold until I get my shoulder fixed up though.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:10 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides