[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Yukon Alaska 2016
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post subject: Yukon Alaska 2016
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:43 pm 

Well with the forth coming weather I finally plan to put up a few pics from my trip to Yukon and Alaska this sspring, got off the beaten path a bit more than last year and am goin to have to go back a few more times as it is such a great place to explore.

A few spoilers

Travelling the south Canol road

An old hotel in Keno that had one of my best meals in the trip

Gasing up at Eagle Alaska, not sure what I paid, it was like going back 50 years

A branch road off the Top of The World highway

Last edited by snobear on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Yukon Alaska 2016
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:56 pm 

Can't see any pics on all my devices?

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:46 pm 

Thanks. Now I need to go back.

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:21 am 

Excellent pics snobear. Looks like it would be an amazing ride.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:09 pm 

Day 1
I left home on June 16th and it rained all day so I just kept riding and got to Peace River after 1162 kms. This was the first night in a motel in the last two years and it was to be the last as I tented the rest of the trip. No pics due to the rain but I took 55 up to Meadow Lake and then through Slave Lake so it was a nice ride.

Day 2
Rode up to Fort Laird as I had thought about going up to Nahanni and Fort McPherson. Did not like what I saw at Fort Laird so came back down to Fort Nelson and spent the night there. 1068 for the day.

Wood bridge south of Fort Laird

Made it to the territories even if just a short time

Last edited by snobear on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:32 pm 

Day 3 Fort Nelson to Watson Lake 552 for the day.

Fog laying in the valley off the Allcan

Stopped for breakfast near Muncho Lake, you run across lots of quirky little places. My experience has been dont stop at the fancy lookin joints. Stop at the old shack by the road with a few vehicles and you meet the nicest people with stories to tell

the locals, they have been in this spot the last two years so must be something that they like here

Day 4
Watson Lake to Farrow to Carmacks. 700 kms. I wanted to ride the south Canol road and am so glad I did. It took me most of the day to get up to Faro but it was a great ride and pretty good conditions. A few pucker moments in the sand but it was so remote and a pleasure everytime you stopped the bike and shut it off to look around.

I was able to gas up in Faro at a cardlock that was unattended. It was about 5 pm and everything was closed and I was real thirsty so I see a fellow locking up and old hardware store and sure enough he let me back in for a bottle of water and would not even let me pay for it, a few locals walked up and we had a good long chat about the area and the decommissioned mine. Awesome people there. I carried on to Carmacks and camped at a nice place north of town on the Yukon River. Great meals there as well. I camped here on the way back as well.

Last edited by snobear on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:07 pm 

Day 5
Carmacks to Keno to Dawson 581 kms.

Keno is a few hrs off the main road at Stewart Crossing. The first hr is paved to Mayo and then gravel old mining road the rest of the way.
Keno has about 20 residents and lots of old mining memorabilia. It is quite high up in the mountains and they actually mined on the mountain top. There are still a few placer gold miners working. Some really nice old buildings in the town and a couple have reopened the old hotel so I stopped there, met a dude on a Harley and had a very nice lunch. I had planned to get up to the Keno hill signpost but got rained out so left it for the trip home. The road up the mountain is clay and you do not want to ride it in the rain.

I love the off the beaten path stuff where you get away from most of the tourist

Day 6
Dawson to Eagle Alaska, return to Dawson 490 kms
Eagle is about an hour north of the top of the world highway and right on the bank of the Yukon River. It is very remote and supplies its own power. The road in is gravel all the way with lots of elevation changes and switchbacks, a very worthwhile rain. I did not spend too much time in the town as rain clouds were coming in.

I took some side trips off the TOW highway this year and the views are amazing which ever way you look. Note the snow tipped mountains in the background.

The border guard was an adventure biker with an 800 Tiger and yet he had never been to Eagle. I think I convinced him to do the trip when I returned through the crossing.

Everything worked, took you back about 50 years, no display for the candy bars, just cut the lid off the box and set them out. Don't ask me what I paid for fuel as I wiped it from my mind.

I believe this is the beast that Ken and Gillam off Yukon Gold operate. It was abandonded on the hilltop off the TOW highway

Fire in the distance

Last edited by snobear on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:53 am 

Pics don't show up.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:41 pm 

Former: 82 Honda XL500R, 80 KZ750LTD, 01 XT225, 80 XS650, 07 Vulcan 900, 08 Vulcan 500, 03 Vulcan 500, 83 KZ440LTD

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:27 pm 

Loading pics from my computer sucks, I reloaded them so hope it works this time.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides