[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Yukon Alaska 2016
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post subject: Re: Yukon Alaska 2016
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:24 pm 

Much better! Thanks for sharing!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:37 pm 

Former: 82 Honda XL500R, 80 KZ750LTD, 01 XT225, 80 XS650, 07 Vulcan 900, 08 Vulcan 500, 03 Vulcan 500, 83 KZ440LTD

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:45 am 

Well it is -31 this morning so time to finish this trip report.
Day 7
Dawson to Keno City and back to Carmacks. Made it up to Keno Hill this time but did not stay on the hill long as a large thunderstorm was clearly coming through. 660 kms
When I got to Carmacks I met a group of riders heading from Alberta heading up on an Alaska/Yukon trip so we shared some stories. They have a Facebook Group started for Adventure Riders https://www.facebook.com/groups/1190595 ... et&fref=nf (Canadian Adventure Riderz).

An old dredge near Dawson that did not survive

I stopped for my daily brunch at Moose Creek Lodge near the Stewart River Crossing. Lots of interesting stuff a d old buildings on the site

This is the much photographed Keno sign post. The signs are to various countries and it was setup when the mine was active and a bunch of delegates from varying countries were there looking at possible investment opportunities. One sign for each delegate

The old sheep camp outpost on the hilltop. The mine was actually on the mountain top

These pics are from several of the museums in the town site further down the hill

There is a second road that goes from Keno City back to Mayo with a short sidetrip that takes you to Mayo Lake. This is the dam that forms the lake. No pics of the lake as it was starting to rain

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:31 pm 

Day 8
Carmacks to Jade City.
I camped south of Jade City on the forks of a river at a day stop site. Was the only one there and the rapids running by all night made for a pretty relaxing evening.
I was down this road last year so no pics

This fellow looked like he was enjoying life

Day 9
Jade City to Greenville to Terrace to Hazelton 916 kms
I had heard about the lava fields near Canyon City so went south of Meziadin to Cranberry Junction and then there is a logging road that you can take to cut across to the area. A good road in dry weather but I think it would be a little tense in the rain. It was a nice remote ride though.
I had planned to visit the three communities of Canyon City, Greenville, and Kincoith but had to turn around at Greenville as no one could say for sure if there was gas at Kincoith and I had not filled my spare can up. From the Lava Fields I went south to Terrace again a very nice this time paved road and then up 16 to Hazelton for the night. I was going to stop at Terrace but nothing exciting there and it was a good thing because Hazelton was a real neat place to visit.

Coming into the lava fields, there is miles of this stuff and very different from anything I have seen before. Hard to believe the shear power of what happened here. It caused a river to reroute and killed many native people. A whole mountainside came down.

The community of Greenville (I think), a fishwheel in the background

The river I camped beside at Hazelton, there was lots of native history here

They were doing maintenance on this bridge in Hazelton, safety tie off I would say, it was a long ways down to the river.

Day 10 Hazelton to Edson 991 kms
I did my last nights camping south of Edson on another river, again a real nice spot to camp.
For all you KTM fans there is a kickass dealer at Edson (Riderz), they were part of the group I met at Carmacks heading up to Alaska and were very friendly folks, said stop in to ride the foothills anytime I wanted.

Day 11 Edson to Home 919 kms
I now know I can go up to Dawson easily in two weeks and have a great time. 900 to 1000 kms days are enjoyable riding, cant explain it but I do just like riding and putting on miles as well as seeing all the great country and meeting the interesting people.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:40 pm 

This link takes you to my 2015 trip through Alaska and the Yukon including the Dempster so between the two trip reports it is pretty inclusive of what is up there except for Prudoe Bay.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1702

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:32 pm 

Looks like an awesome trip. I would love to do something like this one day. I'll need a bigger bike first though! Haha quick question, what was your total mileage for the trip?

2007 Suzuki DR650

2006 Suzuki DR200 FOR SALE!

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:25 pm 

This year was about 9000 kms, last year when I did a good chunk of Alaska as well it was 13,000 kms.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:23 pm 

2007 Suzuki DR650

2006 Suzuki DR200 FOR SALE!

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:04 pm 

Awesome trip! Hope to do it someday too!

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:33 pm 

Stan, I'm always amazed when I follow your trips at some of locations that you find. Most of the riders going up north do the main roads ie the Dalton Hwy, Top Of The World, Dempter, maybe the Denali and stopped for a few days in Dawson City but you always find those need little towns. :ymapplause: Looking forward to 2018

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides