[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Saskatoon to Cape Breton Island 2016
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:36 pm 

I went on my first long distance moto trip last summer on my klr, I thought I was prepared, I read through as many forums as I could, took notes and tried to apply them to my trip. All while trying to stay on somewhat of a budget.

I was planning on camping the entire way out to Cape Breton, and then taking a few nights off and staying in a hotel and then camping as much as possible on the way back. I ended up doing about 50/50 camping / staying in motels.

For luggage I had a 65L Giant Loop bag, and multiple dry bags organized inside. I brought only the essentials to keep everything light and organized. For sleeping; I brought my Hennessy Hammock. Eating; I brought an MSR stove that can run off of gasoline, because I'd always have plenty of fuel on hand.

If i were to do this trip again I'd bring a pop-up tent, I found that after 12 hours in the saddle, hanging a hammock and then having to stuff my gear in my luggage or hang it under my hammock was a PITA. If I would've had a tent I would've had privacy to change clothes, and could've just dumped all my gear beside me. Also, a lot of campsites along the Trans-Canada weren't really set up for hammocks, i.e. not enough trees, etc.

I also would've used hard panniers for luggage, and added a top box. Even though I packed extremely light, emergency tools and supplies take up a LOT of room when on a long distance trip. With hard panniers I would've had way more space, and not having to undo straps and zippers would've saved some time and energy. You can never have too much space! Some pretty wise advice; pack only half and take twice the amount of money :ymapplause:

Last but definitely not least, I would've put road tires on. I left wearing a blocky rear tire that whines like crazy on the highway. I thought I'd be checking out a lot more off the beaten path stuff so I kept it on when I left. Changed it out half way for a smooth and quiet tire. Also, for the klr it would've been worth while to low-mount my front fender before I left. I did it after I came home and was impressed with how much more stable the front end feels.

All in all I had a great trip and I'm glad I did it. I have never been further east than Winnipeg before my trip and was absolutely amazed with just how vast this damn country is! I ended up racking up about 10,000 km's. My next big trip will hopefully be out to BC and up to Alaska!

P.s. I forgot to add in earlier - definitely go through your kit a few times before you leave to make sure you've got all of the small things as well. Something like a chain master link can easily be overlooked. I arrived in Antigonish, NS, and noticed that my master link clip was missing. Went to the motorcycle shop in town and my only option was an ill-fitting master link for something like $25 bucks! That's like a whole tank of fuel! :tough: :headbang:

Attachments:
20160730_135555.jpg
20160730_135555.jpg [ 4.96 MiB | Viewed 756 times ]
20160730_162233.jpg
20160730_162233.jpg [ 5.06 MiB | Viewed 756 times ]
20160804_145717.jpg
20160804_145717.jpg [ 5.36 MiB | Viewed 756 times ]

Last edited by SKFDDY on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:40 pm 

Great advice! I am planning my first long trip this summer. Heading out to vancouver island around july long weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:51 am 

Looks like a great trip, looking forward to a few pictures

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Sound like an amazing trip, thanks for sharing! How long did it take?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:38 am 

Some great advise, thanks for sharing.

We need more pictures.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:17 pm 

shaunpekrul - Have fun! What kind of bike are you going to be riding?

invariant - The trip took me about 3 weeks total. I spent some time with my friend in Montreal that ate up a few days. I needed the break after riding that pig for so long.

Corney - I'll look around for some more photos to post. Seeing those photos makes me depressed, all the trees and sunshine and ocean. I'm ready for winter to be over!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 pm 

Here's some more photos for you guys :)

Attachments:
File comment: I owned this cool Honda V-twin 250 while I was living in Australia. It was a blast to ride around town.
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG [ 2.81 MiB | Viewed 691 times ]
File comment: I lied a little. My first long distance trip was on that little 100cc "motorcycle" in Vietnam. A friend and I rode from Ho Chi Min to Hanoi. Took us about 3 weeks.
P1070348.JPG
P1070348.JPG [ 375.54 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]
20160804_192453-1.jpg
20160804_192453-1.jpg [ 881.45 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]
20160730_150651.jpg
20160730_150651.jpg [ 4.01 MiB | Viewed 691 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 am 

Planning on taking roughly 10 days and will be riding a f800gs

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:09 pm 

Cape Breton is worth the trip. Hope to get out there on a bike someday!

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides