[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Fort Benton Road Trip - June 1-3 2018
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 am 

Great ride with Hammy last weekend down to Fort Benton, MT. Did a loop from Fort Benton to Helena and then back up the interstate. Rain on the way down on Friday, first steady, then on and off between Swift Current and the US border, then only a shower or two. Saturday and Sunday were excellent weather.

Camped at the Canoe Launch campground on the rodeo grounds on the southwest side of Fort Benton. Great spot, but the river was high and the mosquitos were pretty bad in the evenings. Total km was 2043 (746 Friday, 551 Saturday, 746 Sunday).

I highly recommend the Fort Benton area for riding. I want to do this again soon, but take 2 days instead of one to do loops out of Fort Benton. We rode a ton of awesome roads, but also left several tons more on the table for another day!

Attachments:
File comment: Rainy stop on the dam at Lake Diefenbaker.
IMG_1530.JPG
IMG_1530.JPG [ 4.87 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Pit stop at Shaunavon Co-op.
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG [ 4.59 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Nice weather at Fort Benton Saturday morning.
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG [ 4.68 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Rest stop at Hwy 427 and 89.
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG [ 4.47 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: View from 427 and 89.
IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1546.JPG [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Harley Creek Road was closed due to a landslide. We backtracked and re-rode the 45 mph twisties on highway 89 just north of this road.
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG [ 6.7 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Rest stop on NFD586.
IMG_1556.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG [ 8.37 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Nice view, where NFD586 meets the Smith River Road - looking south. GPS 46.895991 N, 111.074213 W (look it up in Google Maps)
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1557.JPG [ 2.36 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Nice view, closing in on Helena.
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
File comment: Campsite at the Canoe Launch Campground in Fort Benton.
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG [ 6.56 MiB | Viewed 1221 times ]

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:22 am 

A link to the Google Map of our Saturday loop.

https://goo.gl/maps/pheY8Stfm1B2

I don't have photos, but the gravel between Geraldine and Geyser is one of the best rides I've done! Twists, turns, hills, scenery, nice speeds. It was mostly open fields and large foothills. Highly recommend this route, but that stretch in particular.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 am 

Thanks for sharing your trip, I think this is a good fit for a trip going south next year, gotta love the foothills country.
I assume this would be inline to get me down to Beartooth

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:40 pm 

Pretty close, Stan. You'd have to cut back a little to the east, but not that far. Could be an enjoyable trip.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:38 pm 

Awesome.
Reminds me of my run to Little Bighorn a couple years back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Former: 82 Honda XL500R, 80 KZ750LTD, 01 XT225, 80 XS650, 07 Vulcan 900, 08 Vulcan 500, 03 Vulcan 500, 83 KZ440LTD

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides