[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Canfield Mountian Trails Idaho
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:36 am 

Last spring/summer I spent a little over 2 months in Coeur D'alene Idaho with work. I was lucky enough to be able to have my trusty DRZ with me to explore during the evenings and weekends. I discovered the Canfield Mountain Trails. It is some of the most amazing off road riding that I have been able to do. It is a area that has been specifically designated and maintained for off road trail riding. There are some bikers and hikers but motorcycles always have the right of way (gotta love the US). If you stop by the forest ranger station in town you can pick up a trail map of the area as well as a map of all the forestry service roads for free.

The area map has all the trails labeled including the elevation change (kinda a foreign concept for someone from Saskatchewan) and difficulty rating. The trails ranged from old forestry service roads to crazy steep single track with roots and shale. I got my DRZ through the majority of them...although there were a few that i had to pass on as I was riding solo and a long way from help.

If you leave the Canfield Trails area on the forest service roads there are endless little unmapped trails in every direction. A GPS would have been a nice thing to have. Since I was riding solo I would only take trails climbing up the mountain. The theory I was going on was that if my bike had an issue i could always coast back down to the forest service road and there is the occasional truck that comes down those roads. Even in July I could get high enough to get my bike stuck in the snow.

One day I hope to go back there with a riding partner and better equipped to explore further into the mountains. I am told that if you have the right maps you can ride mountain tops to Montana.

This link will get you a map of Canfield

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 018428.pdf

Attachments:
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG [ 258.51 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG [ 177.1 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG [ 277.98 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG [ 310.64 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]
IMG_0088.jpg