[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - Saskatchewans other half (road to Wollaston Lake)
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm 

I made the trip up to Wollaston Lake this weekend. Left on Friday morning and camped at Umpherville River, Hidden Bay on Wollaston Lake Friday night. It was 750 kms from my house to Wollaston and took me about 13 hrs.
I went up #106 from Smeaton to Sandy Bay and then took #165 (gravel road) about 100 kms over to #2. Then north through Laronge where #2 turns into 102 just north of Laronge and this is gravel from here on. You turn north just before Southend on #905 which takes you all the way to Stony Rapids. I went to Wollaston only which is about 20 kms south of Points North. Points North to Stony Rapids is another 200 kms. Sounds like the rest of the road is pretty much the same as the southern part of #905, should be no problem traveling it with a motorcycle. The road from Laronge up was not bad really, lots of washboard because it is very dry up there. Lots of fine dust and watch for heavy trucks, they travels the center of the road but were always courteous when they saw me and most waved. I traveled probably 70 kph average on this road. The one thing I was warned about was danger of cutting tires on the sharp gravel, I had plugs along but not sure if they would have handled a cut so well. No bikes up here, I stopped at 147 for gas and the lady kind of looked at me funny with my gear on, then looked out the window and saw the V Strom and said "I have never seen a motorcycle up hear before". The scenery is great and endless lakes to dip the fishing pole in.
Longest gas was 175 kms Brabandt to 147 so no problems with gas but they do lose power frequently so I would always pack gas for that reason. On the way back I gassed up at 147 and not again till Laronge, 350 kms. The V Strom worked great and can go 400 kms plus on a tank. Here are a few picks, I have lots but just loaded a few.

The reason for the departing photo in the shop, it was pouring rain Friday morning. I ran out of the rain south of Sandy Bay and it was a great weekend from then on, dry and hot.

This is the road Sandy Bay to #2

Nipikamew sand cliffs

Missinipe, there is gas and lodging here

Churchill River

Brabandt, gas and lodging again

Home at Hidden Bay, end of day one

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:55 pm 

Day two.

It must have been 28 degrees by 8 in the morning at the camp site on Hidden bay

Wollaston Landing where the barge comes in to go to the settlement on Wollaston Lake

Umpherville River

147 outfitters, gas food lodging, would be a good stop over before completing the trip to Stony Rapids

Kiffer they will feed you up here too

When trucks go by there is lots of trailing dust if it is not windy

This is the sign at the junction of 905 and 102

More at the Churchill River

The grate bridge over the Churchill River, not bad with the Heidi 60 scouts

Osprey Air on Otter Lake

My camp spot on the Bow River, day three I traveled all through Narrow Hills and area to many many lakes and did the fishing thing. Was a great weekend once I got out of the first three hrs of pouring rain

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:11 pm 

Total miles for the weekend

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, nice ride report Stan. It's beautiful up there.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 am 

Looks like a great new location to travel. Thanks the pics and info, I infinitely need to got there. Did you get any fish? How about cell phone? I'm sure the lady at the gas station will get use to see bike.

2019 F850GSA
2018 Multistrada 950
2016 WR250R

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:27 am 

Oddly enough there was good cell service at the campground on Hidden Bay, I did not check the rest of the way up, was on a holiday and did not want to look at my phone.

Fishing was great through the Narrow Hills area with a few trout and pike caught. Also aught a few pike on one of the small lakes along 905.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:32 am 

Sorry mistake at the start of my report. Not Sandy Bay it was Big Sandy where you turn off of 106 onto 165

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 pm 

Awesome trip report, Stan! I really enjoyed the pics and views! Looks like a great place to ride.

Now that you've had some time in the V-Strom saddle let's hear about your likes and dislikes - compared to your old Funduro.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:27 pm 

Well all I can say about the Strom is you will not be able to pry it out of my hands.
It is by no way a dualsport, too low and has not got the suspension for it. It is however the perfect ride for long gravel roads, pavement, long days and some logging roads in between, which is what I wanted. The technical riding is out for me anyways.
You do need to at a minimum put on engine guards and a bellypan if you do any off pavement riding, they are very vulnerable at the bottom end. The fellow I bought it from had a Holeshot canister, velocity stacks and had it mapped on a dyno. It will do 200 kph on the pavement and has so much more power than the Funduro had.
One thing I did not expect was that it would handle better on the loose gravel than the F but it does. I think it may be the different profile front 19" tire.
On the washboard it was faily harse and I will be doing fork springs and valving this winter. Seating was excellent for me and that is what I read was lots of folks need to change the seat to make it work but if your size is right the stock is fine, guess I saved myself $500 on that one. I have a pair of setback risers coming just to get a bit more upright.
Better low end gearing on the V Strom compared to the F as well. Fuel range 400 kms plus so I am really happy with that.
Oil change so much easier with the spin on filter as well.
I am a fan so far, and it was cheap.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 am 

They are very good bikes, but as you say they are not as off-road worthy as your Funduro was.

Glad you're enjoying it!

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Trip Reports and Epic Rides