[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - New member - Old bike
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Pictures and Videos

Post subject: New member - Old bike
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:05 pm 

Hey guys,

I'm Dale, new to the dual sport world out here, I'm originally from northern Ontario, grew up on dirt bikes and atv's, and have decided that dual sports would be a good fit for the GF and myself. (we both also have cruisers, i've got a vstar1100 with 113,000km on it now, and she's got a 650 Bandit)

Picked up this old DT200 for myself this weekend (sorry just kijiji pictures), needs a little work here/there but should clean up OK and fit my need to explore. I'm open to suggestions for accessories and modifications/maintenance from those who have experience with these old bikes.

My ideal is to drag the bikes and little camper somewhere and explore from there. This was last summers project.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:31 pm 

Welcome Dale and GF!

Cool bike and Boler, you'll be ready for the get together so next summer. More ladies joining all the time and coming to camp outs.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Dale and congrats on the new machine.
Where in northern Ontario are you from? I grew up in Thunder Bay... endless trails up in that area.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:46 am 

@invariant I'm from Haileybury Ontario, 950km east on Tbay, right on the quebec border, similar in lots of trails, mining, logging, fire roads. I had the lifted ATV with mudders, and a yz450F for playing in sand pits and fire roads, but really don't want to have to trailer everywhere to ride.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:15 pm 

Welcome Dale, looking forward to meeting you!

1990 Honda ST1100
1974 Honda Trail 90

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm 

Welcome! Those DTs were awesome bikes. I had a '92 TS 200 Suzuki (similar 2-stroke dual-sport) for a while and that bike was spectacular. It would go everywhere a dirtbike would go, and actually had enough power to ride on the highway (which for a 200 is saying a lot with my fat arse on it!).

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:37 pm 

Thanks guys, its a start back into off roading which is something i've been missing since moving out here. This is a picture thread so will share some of my other toys/projects.

My cruiser - 2000 vstar 1100 Custom, 113,000km on it now

my 06 yz450F - stolen, never recovered

My 06 sportsman 500EFI - Sister has it as a daily driver in Moosonee ontario now.

my 1997 xcr440 - 10 years in storage, bought with 304 miles on it - pre production cross country sled. Liberty motor with powervalves. i put 1500 miles on it in the one winter before selling to move west. Went to a nice guy in Sault st. marie who is keeping it as a spare for when his 98 gives out. - i deeply miss this sled.

my last cr125 rebuild - bought blown, sleeved, rode and sold

My 67 VW beetle - Mazda 13B rotary engine swapped, 13.0@106 in the 1/4

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:12 pm 

Nice bike, my wife has the TW200 and yours looks very similar other than hers has the massive rear tire. I would assume it has almost all the same parts. I know with the TW200 that alot of people rejet them and put on the XT225 performance exhausts as well make the the gearing a little more highway friendly by putting a 15 tooth front sprocket up from 14.

EDIT: Actually i must be completely wrong about the bikes being in anyway similar other than styling. Says it is a 6 speed and makes 33HP at 8500rpm, that like twice what my wifes bike makes. Yep just saw Kiffer's post about it being a 2 stroke.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:31 pm 

Yeah, they're pretty quick. My TS made about 35 hp at 8500 rpm. It was fun to ride - it was around the weight of the KTMs (~250 lb dry). Better suspended than the TW too.

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:16 pm 

I've started to dig into the bike and get it ready, checked the fork seals, drained the fork oil and went with a little heavier oil for some additional dampening, changed the gearbox oil, drained the injection oil, threw a new plug at it, cleaned and oiled the air filter, replaced the coolant.

got a little surprise when i pulled the cover off the injection pump, the throttle cable was out of adjustment and slipped off the pully, so the injection pump wasn't opening up properly (barely moved when the throttle was turned) i consider myself lucky that i noticed it before seizing a motor.

Otherwise just your basic chain/sprockets, repaint a few things that were looking worn, stripped the black paint off the headlight surround and cleaned it up. All fresh motul fluids (710 injection oil, 10w30 gearbox, syn fork oil)

removed that wood plank rear rack, i've got a tig welder so ill fab a small aluminum rack for it so i can strap a day bag or some extra fuel back there.

Overall i'm happy with my purchase, its got 125psi of compression and starts on the first kick, and should clean up pretty well.

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » Pictures and Videos