[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club • View topic - 2013 or new model?
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion

Post subject: 2013 or new model?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:23 pm 

First time post, Newbie here. I don't live in Canada, but I've been there a couple times, have two good friends in Canada, and I respect your opinions. I've got a chance to get my first KLR, a 2013 model with 1780 miles on it. I'm looking at the 2013 because it's the last year of the old suspension. My question is, is that a good choice or should I get a newer model? The blacktop sideroads around New Mexico are in terrible shape, breaking up, pot holes, poorly repaired potholes, etc and it makes riding a bike a bone-jarring experience if you have stiff suspension. I've read that the 2014 1/2-2017 models have something like 63% stiffer suspension which I assume is great if you are a hard-cord, fast-riding dirt rider, but how will that affect street riding when you need a soft riding machine that can absorb the bumps instead of rebounding quickly to keep the tire on the ground? I'm thinking the 2013 might ride better on the highway, especially if it's a bad highway?

Post subject: Re: 2013 or new model?
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 pm 

I have the 2013 and it seems ok on gravel roads and some light trails with the stock spring. When I load the bike with gear it compresses the spring to much and the ride is awful. A aftermarket sping would definitely help with this problem.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:53 pm 

Good to have you in the group. If you're ever up here look us up!

I can't speak for the new (post '08) KLRs, but my '07 was waaayyy under sprung. I went with a Progressive rear shock and it was worth every penny. With me and my travel gear on it the original was roughly 2/3 the way down the travel.

I should qualify that - I am heavy (close to 300 lb), and my gear fit in the old soft KLR saddlebags and a 49 L Ortlieb bag.

My guess is that the 63% stiffer would be better. But as I say, I don't have experience with the newer ones.

You're lucky to be in NM - I loved riding the GDR through there! I was looking forward to the "desert" and found that NM had great desert, mountains, plains, meadows, and just about every type of terrain under the sun. Hope to get there again sometime!

2017 Versys X
1991 Suzuki TS200R

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:18 pm 

if your 200lbs or over get the newer model, you get a better seat ect ect at the same time. I have a set of 49mm forks from a different bike on the front end of mine, and a stronger spring on the stock rear shock. I have been wanting to upgrade the rear shock for forever. I keep re sealing my stock one but it's maybe got one more season left in it before the thing is completely worn out. I keep saying to myself my whole bikes only got one more season left in it..... but each year I fix it up a bit and keep on trucking.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:01 pm 

Welcome to the forum. I had a 2009 KLR and loved a lot of things about it, but didn't love the weak suspension. I ended up with progressive springs up front, and I put a stiffer spring on the stock rear shock. That helped a lot.

It's also worth pointing out, in case you don't already know, that there are easily adjustable settings for the rear shock. They aren't the same as putting on an aftermarket shock, but it's about a thousand bucks cheaper!

Last point regarding whether you choose the 2013 or a newer one....you'll never say, "I wish I had weaker suspension".

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:14 am 

Board index » Saskatchewan Dual Sport Club Forum » General Discussion